13 Weeks of Pregnancy | Second Trimester | Fetal Stage
At 13 weeks of pregnancy, the fetus’s intestines now grow within the abdomen rather than the umbilical cord . The active fetus still moves uncontrollably, though it may be able to put its thumb into its mouth .
The fused eyelids protect the fetus’s developing eyes, which are moving closer together [2,3]. The ears start moving upward and lie flatter against the head . The limbs continue to lengthen, becoming more proportional to the fetus’s body .
The external genitalia continue to form male or female characteristics but remain immature . The liver will keep producing red blood cells until this process begins in the spleen .
1. Moore KL, Persaud TVN, Torchia MG. The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2016.
2. Harms R, Wick M, editors. Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. Boston: Da Capo Press; 2011.
3. Betts JG, Young KA, Wise JA, Johnson E, Poe B, Kruse DH, et al. 28.3 Fetal Development. Anatomy & Physiology. Houston: OpenStax; 2013.
At Maila Health, we’re on a mission to improve maternal and newborn health outcomes and experiences through meaningful innovation in digital health. If you’re pregnant, postpartum, or raising a baby, we’re here to help ensure you get the support and quality health care you deserve.
● To hear more from us, subscribe to our YouTube channel!
● Learn more about Maila Health here: https://mailahealth.com/
● Read about topics related to pregnancy, childbirth, postpartum, and FemTech on our blog: https://mailahealth.com/blog/
● Find out how to get in touch with us here: https://mailahealth.com/contact/
#Pregnancy #PregnancyJourney #Fetus #BabyDevelopment #MailaHealth
Produced and written by: Samantha Lattof, PhD MSc
Medically reviewed by: Ayodeji Olelakan Abere, MD MBA MHA
Animation by: SciePro / Pond5
Music by: audiomarket / Pond5
Narration by: Ava / Wellsaid
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for a qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information.
Maila Health,Maila,Malia Health,pregnant,pregnancy,second trimester,fetal development,baby development,baby,babies,fetus,fetal,13 weeks pregnant,13 weeks pregnancy,pregnancy week 13,pregnant week 13,pregnancy journey,trimester,baby growth week by week during pregnancy,second trimester pregnancy,pregnancy second trimester,pregnancy transformation week by week,prenatal development,antenatal development,prenatal growth,pregnancy videos,pregnancy journey video