Issue-Based Coalitions Initiative: Health Financing and Health Systems Resilience – PAHO/WHO
Webinar 2: Issue-Based Coalitions Initiative: Health Financing and Health Systems Resilience
September 7, 2022 – 10:30 a.m.. (EDT); duration: 2 hours
The second webinar of the series on policy options to strengthen and transform health systems in the Americas takes place in the context of the Issue-Based Coalition on Financing for Development, a regional initiative that unites all United Nations entities on a common goal facing the 2030 sustainable development agenda. PAHO, the lead agency specialized in health in LAC region, is part of this coalition.
- To showcase the main structural health financing issues in the LAC region that expose LAC vulnerability to public health emergencies and hinder the capacity of the Region to address inequities and the future achievement of the SDGs.
- Highlight country challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, noting lessons learnt and good practices toward the pursuance of universal health and the 2030 Agenda.
- To present a common agenda for the UN-LAC Issues based coalition on Financing for Development in health financing and health systems resilience, based on key PAHO/WHO recommendations.
10:30 a.m. Introduction and welcome remarks
- Claudia Pescetto, Regional Advisor, Health Economics and Financing, PAHO/WHO (Moderator)
- ECLAC & UNDP Chairs of the Issue-Based Coalitions (LAC) / Financing for Development
10:40 a.m. Health Financing for Resilience in a post-pandemic era
- James Fitzgerald, Director of Health Systems and Services, PAHO/WHO , presentation: Health Financing for Resilience in a post-pandemic era
- Daniel Titelman, Director of the Economic Development Division, ECLAC, Comments to the presentation
11:10 a.m. Panel Discussion
- Daniel Olesker, Senator, former minister of Public Health, Uruguay.
- Midori de Habich, Abt Associates; former minister of Health, Perú.
- Oscar Cetrángolo, researcher at Instituto Interdisciplinario de Economía Política de Buenos Aires (IIEP-BAIRES), Argentina
11:40 a.m. Q&A section
11:55 a.m. Moderator, closing remarks