Social Determinants Influence (Sub)Optimal Health

YouTube video

Our health and wellness are directly influenced by the world around us — more so by our ZIP codes than by our DNA. Dr. Medell Briggs-Malonson, chief of health equity, diversity and inclusion for the UCLA Hospital and clinic system, maintains that as a community, it is our responsibility and privilege to care for one another, and start to shift care practices to address the whole person.

“Non-medical factors are the greatest contributors to health and wellness,” she said in her Vitals conference keynote address. “Only 20% of all of the health care that we provide to an individual really contributes to their overall health and wellness. It’s actually other factors — economic factors, the environment — that make up the other 80%. It’s not enough to say ‘social determinants of health’: I like to use the term drivers now. It’s not enough to say they are contributors, they are propelling one’s health to be optimal [or] suboptimal.”

Vitals is the premier, university-led event in the Southern California region for students, professionals and academics focused on health care. The 2022 conference, Solutions for All: The Path to Health Care Equity, was presented by UCLA Anderson’s Healthcare Business Association (HBA) and sponsored by Johnson & Johnson and DaVita:

#healthcare #equity #UCLAHealth


Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for a qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information.

Keywords: UCLA Anderson,UCLA,UCLA Anderson School of Management,MBA,Bschool,Business School,Los Angeles

Show More

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button